Tuesday 1 June 2010

RE:THINK - Talking About Design

Chaired by Emily King; a writer and curator within Graphic Design, RE:THINK was a lecture focusing upon contemporary design.
Guest speakers Danny Sangra and OK-RM, shared their thoughts on the topic whilst showing some of their own work to discuss.

OK-RM are formed by Oliver Knight and Rory McGrath. Their work consists of clean, crisp pages of type and design layouts. I found their work interesting to view and to learn about.
They state that they "...explore the parameters in display."



I admired the interaction element to 'Le Corbusier' - an event booklet which also acted as a sticker booklet that the user could interact with. The idea also worked the same way Corbusier did, in that he would have a plan lined up and cross each out after he finished - acting as a checklist.




Danny Sangra focuses upon Illustration. His childhood obsesion with drawing on top of faces still occurs today, with his main style being drawings on top of magazines. He would often collect and transform the original into something new and unique.

As well as this style, Sangra also shows a lot of geometry in his work - which may be a useful contact for my GARP. I admired Danny's sense of humour and his way of working. He often creates new work by looking through his old and re-vamping it up some way.

The lecture was a whole two hours, and could have gone on for much longer.
I admired the work of both, two very different approaches to design!
The minimal display of OK-RM appeals to me alot as I like to keep my own work this way.
Very interseting and made me think...RE:THINK about design and it's approach.

No comments: